A Little Bit About the Horseman

420067_3752740702659_1003953436_n

Hi y’all, my name is Tyler Klees. I have been around horses my entire life, but it wasn’t until the summer of 2007 that I finally learned how to positively influence the horse. In 2007 I was fortunate to pick up a job as a wrangler at the C Lazy U Ranch, it was also the year Leif Forrester came back to the ranch as the horse foreman. Leif had just finished up a 4 year road trip with Buck Brannaman as his apprentice. I worked directly under Leif learning from his every move and tried to retain every word spoken of the horse/life. As Leif would say, I experienced a state of “Plumoutta.” That’s when you pull your head plum out of your A$$. It was as if I had never seen a thing happen in my entire life, up until the point I met Leif, finally becoming aware.

My uniqueness is found in the work I do at the C Lazy U. During the summer I lead a team of wranglers to bring our herd of 200 horses in from pastures that surround the ranch. Leaving as early as 4:30 A.M. to have the horses in by 6:00 A.M., covering up to 10 miles before breakfast. Don’t know if you have ever saddled up a green horse that early in the morning and had to support them while leading, blocking, or pushing the whole herd of horses galloping past, but you don’t survive the years I have without learning quite a few things about the mental and physical state of horses. I have learned so much about supporting my horse from where he is at and how much he can handle, along with how the herd mentality works.

Through years of trail rides, instructional horsemanship rides, and horsemanship classes I have learned how to help people through their issues with horses and horses with their people problems.

I have dedicated all my time since that summer of 2007 to the furthering of my horsemanship. The C Lazy U has a herd just under 200 horses in which I have rode 90 percent of, the other 10 percent are grandfathered in or pull a hitch. The ranch has to replenish numbers every 1 – 2 years with about 10 – 15 horses all with something new to teach. I have had the pleasure of starting a few colts on ranch and out of those I was blessed enough to be awarded with the one I fancied most as a birthday present. He is the young buck in the photo. I’m hoping to learn enough along the way to make a bridle horse, in which would be honoring all the great horseman before me that have allowed me to do what I do. For with out them (Tom/Bill Dorrance, Ray Hunt, Buck Brannaman, and others) I wouldn’t have found my one true passion in life.

Advertisements

One thought on “A Little Bit About the Horseman

  1. Hi Tyler, As a new horse owner who will soon be riding everyday this summer I am looking forward to getting your insights about my riding and my horse at CLazyU. I think as riders viewing our personals horsemanship goals as a series of intentions, we are more likely to make progress especially if given the opportunity to participate in clinics and classes. Thanks for your authentic blog. Janet Solie

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s